Wednesday 5 October 2011

Tangelo, Pomelo, Hello or Oh no?

When I sent the boyfriend off to the shop the other day to pick up some fruit and veg, I asked for some oranges to make carrot and orange fritters. What he came back with were clementines with what  I would describe as nipples! I was intrigued. A quick google lead me to find that they were actually tangelos, I've never seen them in shops before, but on peeling them I learnt that the boyfriend had found some little gems! Apparently they're a hybrid of a tangerine and a pomelo or a grapefruit. Well let me say those two parents hit it off and produced a beautiful baby! Tangelos are much easier to peel than an orange and they're quite sweet, with lots of juice and a soft, pulpy flesh. They went great in the fritters and didn't have an overpowering taste. Definitely hello, hello!





Then about a week later, I was doing food shopping and they had pomelos on sale. Being in an adventurous mood, I thought what the heck and threw it into the basket. A few days later I ventured to try this fruit that looked like a pear on steroids. I had to hack through the tough rind to get to the fruit inside. It had a pleasant, citrus smell and a pale yellow flesh, not bright like a lemon, more like a cloudy lemon. On taking a bite, first I got apple flavours, then pear, then grapefruit. Like one of Willy Wonka's inventions, except he needs to work on the last one that really lingers in the mouth. I'm not a fan of grapefruit, so I'm probably biased. Here's the pomelo with pear for an idea of size.


I tried to use up the pomelo, thinking if I put it under the grill with some sugar, but somehow the heat and sugar only seemed to intensify the grapefruit-y flavour. So sadly it had to be disposed of quietly and quickly! So for me it's pomelo - oh no! But it was nice to try some new fruits and I'll be on the hunt for more.

1 comment:

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets